Friday, January 06, 2006

MIning Accident...

I want to comment on that Virginia mining accident that left 12 dead and one in critical condition. I understznd that these things happen. Mining is a dangerous job. But someone should be punished severely for telling those families of the dead ones that they were ok, just to say, "Oooooooooops! Big mistake! 12 of the miners are dead!"

Thinking that loved one is still alive after that explosion perhaps was a temporary relief. The lovdd ones may have been thinking, "I will hear about the explosion after their rescue." And then comes the three hours later, after anticipating their safe return to their lives, "Oooooooops! Someb0dy goofed! 12 are dead." That must have been AWFUL, to say the least. I can't even imagine the grief those poor families must be going through. I don't think the families will get over this too soon.

I blame the reporters for this. They just should have stayed away until someone knew something either way. I think those 12 deaths would have been easier to accept if they weren't given false hope.

Sometimes I think the reporters will do anything to get a story, even talk to grieving people who should be left alone in their grief. Give the grieving people some time to get over their loss and then talk to them. Do they do that? No. They have to get the story and report it because afterwards may be too late and no one will be ineterested. I say hogwash. Let the grieving ones grieve and then let them tell you whatever it is they want to share when they're ready. I will wait until then if I may.

I made a mistake. It was West Virginia and not Virginia.

6 comments:

Mighty Dyckerson said...

This just in: They were wrong again. The miners are alive after all. (They were just sleeping.)

And it was West Virginia. Entirely different state.

Little Lamb said...

Ummm, Dyckie? I always get Virginia and West Virginia mixed up. Sorry!

Mighty Dyckerson said...

Well I live in one of them, so don't let it happen again.

Little Lamb said...

I know and I used to know people from West Virginia and the husbnad was in mining. How silly of me.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you, Lambie. It's imperative that the press have the correct facts before relating it to the public.
My heart goes out to the family members of the miners.

Little Lamb said...

Don't know if they've ever been sued over something like that.