Monday, October 31, 2005

MATTHEW 11:28 – 30
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

WHAT DO THESE WORDS MEAN?
Come – To go where one is being called.
Labour – Toiling; to bestow labor; to work.
Laden – Burden, load of care.
Rest – This is not a rest from work, not the rest of inactivity, but of the harmonious working of all the faculties and affections – of will, heart, imagination, conscience, because each has found in God the kind of sphere for its satisfaction and development.
Yoke – Serving to couple two things together is used metaphorically of submission to authority, of Christ’s “yoke” not simply imparted by him but shared with Him.
Learn – To increase one’s knowledge; not simply the doctrine of Christ, but Christ Himself, a process not merely of getting to know this person but of so applying the knowledge as to walk differently from the rest of the Gentiles.
Meek – Gentle; mild.
Lowly – Humble.

2 comments:

Mighty Dyckerson said...

I think I know what "come unto me" means....

Little Lamb said...

It means what it says it means.